Crossroads Community Church is a suburban community of changed people who are committed to serving and renewing Somerset County and the rest of central New Jersey through a movement of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
- Gospel. The good news we have is that in Jesus Christ the power of God’s kingdom has come into history to renew the whole world. When our relationship to God is not based on our efforts or abilities, but on who Jesus is and what he has done, the Holy Spirit comes upon us and begins to do the work of the kingdom through us.
- Changed People. The gospel changes us from the inside out. God’s love and forgiveness for us in Jesus Christ frees us from our tendencies to both self-righteousness and self-condemnation. We accept others and ourselves as loved and valued people made in the image of God. The gospel teaches us to welcome and respect those who do not believe what we do.
- Our Church. The Spirit of God renews us individually, and causes us to commit ourselves to others who have come to know Jesus. The church is a place where people are built up, and where the relationships we build testify to the coming of God’s kingdom among us. Here class barriers are broken down, and people are taught by the gospel to love and value those different from themselves. The idols this world worships (intellect, physical power, wealth, status and sexuality) are first exposed as inadequate gods and dethroned by the truth and love of the one true God. Christians then take these up as the Lord’s gifts to be used for His purposes: goodness, purity, service, beauty and life.
- Our Community. We believe that the good news about Jesus Christ is the greatest power on earth to bring peace and health to a community. God’s love renews individuals, families and communities to live for His glory and the benefit of others. They then fertilize the cultural topsoil of the Garden State with acts of courage, kindness, hard work and humble service. We expect that Jesus in His people will make a difference at the dinner table, on the sports field, in the classroom, the boardroom and even in traffic!
- Movement. Our church can never fulfill all the purposes of God even in Somerset County, much less in central Jersey and the world. Therefore, we are committed to working with other churches and ministries to bring God’s renewal and favor through the gospel.
- Service. Gladly and openly we invite others to believe as we do, yet even if they don’t, we will serve those around us. Scripture tells us that Jesus, "anointed with the Holy Spirit and power... went around doing good." We will follow his example.
- Kingdom Renewal. Scripture and Church History teach that the gospel should and often has had a profound, lively and positive influence in government, business, science, education, the arts and media. One of the pictures Jesus gave of his kingdom was of yeast, which, when mixed in dough, permeates it and causes the dough to rise. Since the first century, believers have challenged, encouraged and enriched the cultures in which they have lived. We strongly encourage Christians to engage their culture in these ways.
As a Presbyterian Church in America (PCA) congregation, Crossroads Community Church adheres to the theological standards of our denomination. These can be reviewed in detail at the Presbyterian Church in America website.
While we hold the Biblical scriptures themselves to be the ultimate and authoritative theological source, a fairly comprehensive summation of our systematic theology can be found in the Westminster Confession of Faith, along with the Westminster Larger and Shorter Catechisms.
We also recommend the New City Catechism as a more accessible exposition of systematic theology that employs modern language while still holding true to historical faith.
Statement of Beliefs - Presbyterian Church in America
- We believe the Bible is the written word of God, inspired by the Holy Spirit and without error in the original manuscripts. The Bible is the revelation of God’s truth and is infallible and authoritative in all matters of faith and practice.
- We believe in the Holy Trinity. There is one God, who exists eternally in three persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- We believe that all are sinners and totally unable to save themselves from God’s displeasure, except by His mercy.
- We believe that salvation is by God alone as He sovereignly chooses those He will save. We believe His choice is based on His grace, not on any human individual merit, or foreseen faith.
- We believe that Jesus Christ is the eternal Son of God, who through His perfect life and sacrificial death atoned for the sins of all who will trust in Him, alone, for salvation.
- We believe that God is gracious and faithful to His people not simply as individuals but as families in successive generations according to His Covenant promises.
- We believe that the Holy Spirit indwells God’s people and gives them the strength and wisdom to trust Christ and follow Him.
- We believe that Jesus will return, bodily and visibly, to judge all mankind and to receive His people to Himself.
- We believe that all aspects of our lives are to be lived to the glory of God under the Lordship of Jesus Christ.